1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about trams and trains

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kipate, Mar 7, 2019.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, folks and modders,

I do have a question regarding a possibility to introduce trains in CXL:

I know that trams need a special type of road to be placed on. You cannot place a tram on a common road, it needs to be a tram road.
    Also, we do have some railway mod now, thanks to @Drazicdesign and @Pepino (y)
    My question is whether it was possible to use the existing railways and declare them to be a tram road, and then to have a tram that looks like a train?

I think the following difficulties could arise:
    1) How to make a tram run on a narrower railway - tramways are at least 15m wide, while the railways are sometimes only 5m wide.
    2) How to implement switches as crossings.
    3) How to create a station and how to create a connection between a station and the common road.

I know, the decorative railway mod has lots of possibilities, probably more than needed. But there is a rather simple version by @Altiris and @Monty that could be used for a first test :D

Your ideas, folks?

2. Altiris

Altiris Governor

There was a lot possible back in our attempts to mod a functioning rail, pretty much everything.. but the most important issue could not be 100% solved.

This..

3) How to create a station and how to create a connection between a station and the common road.

Creating a connection between station\road was fine, but not station\rail. it would look the part, but no passengers.

we had some success using the Metro placement system, passengers would actually use it, but placing stations and tracks was a nightmare. way worse than the monorail. :p

kipate and Mr.X² like this.
  3. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, wow, thanks for replying, I didn't expect that to happen so soon :D

Now I actually have even more questions^^

1) Do you have any images left that do show how far you had come?

2) I guess that the main concern is about getting the trains working such that they actually enter the station, or am I mistaken? And using the metro placement tool worked, but placing tracks would be complicated. May I ask about the "nightmare"? I mean, even using @Pepino's mod is kind of hard, but I guess lots of people would volunteer to create a tutorial :)

3) One of my concerns was the way of how to avoid the need to "go around a corner" for a possible altered tram version. Do you think that this problem could be solved?

Thank you anyways, it is always educating when you enter the stage :)

4. Monty

Monty Governor

Hey guys. How are you?

I don't remember much about all that. I used to make the models but not get involved in how all the files and stuff worked. I do remember that both metro and roads had serious downsides to be used as functional railroads. Skylines seems to have everything that most people ever wanted in a city building game so I recommend you to switch to it and forget our beloved broken piece of trash that is Cities XL :LOL:

kipate and Mr.X² like this.
  5. kipate

kipate Governor

I have to admit that Skylines does offer a lot^^

6. Monty

Monty Governor

Yeah, I've never played again since I tried it a bit with no mods years ago. But I've seen other people's work and they make some really stunning things, and judging by some videos in Youtube is not that hard to place things the way you want, there are mods that even allow you to resize or change the shape of assets as you place them, copying and pasting stuff and things like that. It doesn't seem as tedious as building in CXL. I don't know, but for someone who loves detail and accuracy like you, it seems a more enjoyable experience than fighting against all the limitations in CXL.