1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

New Domain Name?

Discussion in 'XLNation Site Questions, Problems and Suggestions' started by IcyHot, Dec 4, 2014.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

HW finally contacted me. He can't remember the username and password he used to register the domain but will try to either a) retrieve the password or 2) contact them and get the information. He will then turn the domain over to me.

Supersnake likes this.
  2. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

That was really quick! (y) I am just really happy to hear that the day when we can keep the domain name as long as we want is nearing.:D

3. Supersnake

Supersnake Mayor

I'm happy to read this. Long live XL Nation!

Pamascus27 likes this.
  4. Rene

Rene Executive

Cities XL is Cities eXtra Large community for. no need for new url.

5. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

sounds reasonable to me

Rene likes this.
  6. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Still waiting patiently for HW to get me the domain information.

7. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Hopefully you'll get it in time, there's still a pretty ample amount of time. Best of luck Icy (y)

8. Le Cat

Le Cat Guest

Good to hear that HW still answers about XLN matters.
    We need to keep the name. XLNation is somekind of a reference for CXL players.

Rene and Supersnake like this.
  9. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Great to hear; here's hoping that he can recover the information.

10. Rene

Rene Executive

Yes, and Skylines, let XLEX 2 be a haven for Skylines and u know people we gotta little bit re-brand this site, as we want this site for Skylines mods and knowhow of they're modding tools. ST is so focused on Sim City.

Better yet, the devs of Skylines might be interested of players being able to share and upload mods with partner sites, like xlnation.net and steam - steam is guaranteed, but i remeber they saying they might be open for xln and they have to get back before launch.

CXXL? I dunno. I'll try to be in contact with them and see if they could strike a deal. People could buy both Skylines and CXXL through XLN.. How great would that be, thinking all the costs and all'

11. Le Cat

Le Cat Guest

I am thinking of buying both. CXXL because, well... FHI is french ! ( :p ) And Cities: Skylines, because the game dynamics and gameplay look pretty cool.

12. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

It should be simple, if HW is active and willing. HW must need the email address he registered the domain in to be active to receive PW, then give it to Icy and the let the community Live.!

13. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

So, HW now has the userid and password for the xlnation.net domain. Via email he asked what I wanted, I asked him to give me the information so I could renew the domain registration. I have yet to hear back from him.

These are things I want to do in 2015 with XLNation, all of them require I have access to the domain name.

1. Change XLNation from HTTP to HTTPS. Google is now encouraging all websites make the change, and it now factors into google rankings (small at this time). Reference: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html

2. Migrate everything uploaded by users (Mods, and Photos) to a CDN (Content Delivery Network). This would redundantly store all these items in multiple data centers located around the globe. When a user wanted to download the UIM for example it would actually be pulled from the closest data center to the user. No longer would it all download from the server here in Portland Oregon. With redundant data centers the fantastic library of mods and photos will never be lost, unless the Zombie apocolypse occurs I guess.

3. Implement a more secure DDoS monitoring and protection service

Rene, snick, kipate and 1 other person like this.
  14. gbojanic

gbojanic Governor

Good to hear... Hope it all pans out nicely...

15. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, how good is this site!

16. veija2

veija2 Mayor

These ideas all sound like solid steps toward a more secure and functional site. Thanks, IcyHot. I also hope they all work out.

17. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Now that's great to hear Icy, I also hope they will work out. (y)

Rene likes this.
  18. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

(Note to all, this is why the cheap domain registrations are not always the best choice.)

Seems the domain admin (the email that controls the domain) is actually support@hostmonster.com and not a hyperwolf email. So when I sent the domain transfer request it went to hostmonster and not Hyperwolf. HW promises to try and get this resolved. It is back in his hand since he is the one with the relationship with hostmonster. He has to get them to approve the domain transfer

19. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

tumblr_mfs0nl4tFo1ryzrvno1_500.gif

20. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

So true, @Alex24 I am trying to not be too pushy with Hyperwolf to resolve this. I will inquire again on Friday. He does not have the same sense of urgency that I do. XLNation is not really a priority for him. If HW and I cannot get this resolved I will try to get him to at least renew the domain name for another year.

I will then register a new domain name and redirect XLNation.net to the new name. That would give me 18 months to get the word out to all users of the switch and allow google SEO to crawl and index the new domain name. BTW users would notice no changes.

There is so much I cannot do with the site without access to the domain admin. This really sucks