1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

SAVE XL NATION! How do you think about a new donation system?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mr. Sky, Oct 17, 2016.

?
  1. 10 $

2. 25$

3. 50$

4. 75$

5. 100$

6. 150$

7. 200$

8. Nothing, I have no money

9. Nothing, the modders should not get money

10. Nothing, I want rather support big IT-Companies

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr. Sky

Mr. Sky Executive

Hi guys,

First of all I have to make clear that I am not a modder, only a player.

Obviously, more and more modders stop modding. If this continues, XL Nation will no longer exist in the future. How can we stop this? What do you think of a donation system? For example, could you reward the mods of the month with money? The amount would depend on how much the community is willing to donate. One thing is clear: the modders invest a lot of time and work to offer us new features and to make the game better. Perhaps we can increase the motivation of the modders by giving money for the best mods. How much do we spend on useless things? How much money have we already spent on DLCs at Cities Skylines or Sim City, which included only 5 buildings? We should invest the money we are willing to spend on our games in our community. Why do we support large IT companies, although we know that our wishes are mostly ignored? XL Nation is independent, the money would be much better here.

Please take part in the poll to know if the donation system would work.

Any other suggestion?

2. Monty

Monty Governor

I'd like to point out that the donations made through the donation system in this site are used to cover the expenses of running the site itself. If modders want to accept donations they should set up their own donation system (Patreon, Paypal, etc).

I'd say donating to help IcyHot to cover the expenses of running the site (server upgrades, software, etc) should be the priority.

Jotape, veija2, ronrn and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

you should rather pay me with time :p
    no honestly, i dont have any money and i dont want to get money for this. it would make this hobby feel like a service and make me feel responsible if something goes wrong or if it doesnt look or work perfectly.
    so im with monty, if users donate for icys upkeep (and investment) costs its fine. and last year we achived the donation goal, hope well do so as well this year (so far $0 :( )

veija2, CraCkeR JaCk and Mr. Sky like this.
  4. Mr. Sky

Mr. Sky Executive

Hm, I think it would be a good motivation for all modders. Of course its only a hobby. Nobody makes this hard work for money. In real life, you have to pay hundreds and tousends of dollars for those works. But it would be also fair, if the best mods will get money, not much, only what the community is willing to give. Maybe the 1st place is getting 30$ to go in a nice restaurant. This would also garantee, that the quality won´t get down.

5. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, $10 a year seems like a good price for all new mods that come out within the year :)

But let me get some things straight:

1) The current modders are all (except for that one guy) doing it for free. Most of them want to use their buildings within their cities.

Hence there are not many people willing to mod something for one of the player-only type. But the players are probably the guys who would want to see their wishes included, their wishes modded, because they believe the game needs this or that (just look up some requests). But, to be fair, do you really know what you want for the game? Except for rails, that may be a "no". And rails are quite "unmodable".

So you have a bias between things modded and things wanted (at least on individual level). And then probably fewer people might be willing to donate.

2) Once you implement a system as yours, this would most likely not be longer seen as a donation, but rather as form of paying modders for their contributions. And, as X pointed out already, modders would feel and would be taken responsible for any wrong-going. And then the non-thinkers would show up, pointing with their fingers saying "your mod causes autism..." :facepalm:

And this would heavily distract people from modding.

Mr. Sky likes this.
  6. Mr. Sky

Mr. Sky Executive

I understand your point. Btw. I can´t find the donation link for XLNation. Where is it gone?

7. Monty

Monty Governor

I dieded. :ROFLMAO:

8. secpol

secpol Governor

The slogan of the government of the country where I live :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

kipate and Mr. Sky like this.
  9. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

10. secpol

secpol Governor

I live, probably in Europe's poorest country, in a country in which there is no economy, in the country, which introduced a tax on unemployment, I myself unemployed for over a year,
    I have higher education qualifications in chemical engineering technologist, CXL my hobby, I give my mods as for friends.
    I can outline a different situation: Moders are united in organization, in which between themselves exchange modes, the rest is sold, as in Apple for $1. Now, look not the quantity "likes", and on the quantity of downloads: Cities XXL Community Patch 2.08 - 9.585 downloads! This is the theoretical maximum for XXL, on this day. The question remains in the popularity of the game.
    A growing quantity of modders, reduced the quantity of manuals, chaos will come? Or not?:D
    The XXL does not iPhone:D

11. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Not to mention the legalities . . . unless you work for FHI ...