1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Hanson

City Of Bridges

1. Inan

Inan Governor

Inan submitted a new resource:

Port Hanson - City Of Bridges

Read more about this resource...

BlowingPot likes this.
  2. Inan

Inan Governor

3. riscoo

riscoo Executive

Hey! Where can i find that kind of ball that is in the trainstation rooftop? And the tunnel of the station? I really love your cities, simply awesome!

4. Inan

Inan Governor

Hello!
    Thank you. Glad you liked it and left a review. The "ball" is this mod: Landmark - The Atomium, Brussels
    I sunk it into ground that just the top ball is visible. Not sure what you meant by "tunnel"?

5. riscoo

riscoo Executive

Ok, I would never think it was the atomium, what a genius!! About the tunnel, I was referring to this here:
    2NiC0wW.jpg

6. Inan

Inan Governor

Yeah, the Atomium mod was used in some of my other cities too, like in CJ - Amanpour, for example in the middle of roundabouts or in CJ - Osato too, i think. Great for some artprojects for your city. The Tunnel mod is this: Transportation - Lextacy_2008 RHM2 Overpass MEGA Pack. I also used it in CJ - Canal City for building the Pretego Canal. :)

7. riscoo

riscoo Executive

8. riscoo

riscoo Executive

Is this the same tunnel as the other in the station?
    cxl_screenshot_amanpour_43.jpg

Miguel likes this.
  9. Inan

Inan Governor

No. The tunnel used in the trainstation in Port Hanson is actually a bridge from that mod. In that case it is placed that way that it looks like a tunnel. The mod you marked on the Amanpour-Picture is this: Offices - Modular Convention Center :)

10. riscoo

riscoo Executive

Thank you so moch!!

Inan likes this.
  11. Inan

Inan Governor

12. Inan

Inan Governor

13. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, so for my belated review:

I have to say that I like the city a lot. You developed an interesting concept, which caught my attention. I had to work out this concept in my head again to be able to give you a comprehensive critique:

To sum it up (correct me if I'm wrong): The first settlements were built around the old harbour, close to were today's main station is located, and then the city grew into the tip of the peninsula. A first small airport was built right at the tip, and large companies settled in close distance. At around the same time, a complex triangular highway network was established throughout the city's boundaries. I'm asking because I did not find any background description :D

Anyway, it was at parts a bit challenging to see why you had placed certain structures the way we can see them within your journal, but I do have to say that - apart from the nuclear power station - I can see the reasons: The old port was built within a protecting bay, the airport was built at the tip of the peninsula as there were no other flat areas within a close distance and because at the time of its beginnings, the surrounding area most likely was not fully developed; and of course the business district then grew nearby, the area at the tip became more important for the whole city and hence a highway network was squeezed through.

I have to say that I have high doubts about the location of the nuclear power station: Usually, they are built miles away from a city's centre. That's a) for safety reasons, and b) for reasons of accessibility: How can trucks that carry nuclear material easily access your power plant when there are traffic jams en route?

The other criticism stems from the lack of industry alongside the coastline. I would have expected a lot more warehouses. I mean, in any harbour city of any developed country, you do have comprehensive warehouse districts surrounding operating ports, not?
    And still, even if the port is not the main port anymore, as long as it is functional, then you will find warehouses, especially when it is also a container port.

Some minor points regard the roads of your fine city: When I saw that bridge leading to the stadium, I was like "Inan, why not a causeway like in Miami?" :p You know, these rather dam-like structures which only have a few boat passages. Also, I was stunned by the number of wide boulevards that run through the city. You not only have two elevated highways running along the coastline, but at parts four or even five 30m and wider roads running in one direction. Most likely it's necessary, but is also still a surprisingly high number, given that the peninsula is not that wide in size. No subway network? :D

But enough of that. I do love the highway network. To me, it seems to be the visually most efficient network you built so far, given the morphology of the city. Also, it is the most flawless network that I encountered so far within your journals (y) At parts I am still like "that could be done a tiny bit smoother", but that's just the icing on the icing of the cake^^ So, congratulations :)

Also, I love the parks. You seem to have found your very own style, using modernistic elements like the Gateway Arch to design your opulent parks! Fantastic job (y)

Again, the skyline was wisely composed, I would wish for some more images e.g. with the stadium in the foreground and the skyscrapers in the back, that would surely be an awesome scenery ;)

Last but not least, I like that curvy train station. One can see that you carefully worked on the round shape, love it :)

So, keep it up (y)

Inan likes this.
  14. Inan

Inan Governor

Thank you for the detailed comment.

I agree with most of what you said. Regarding Seaburg 1: Yes, it is a bit irresponsible to have a nuclear power plant so close to a bigger city in the middle of a residential area if it was real. But because it is a game and i wanted to create a nuclear power plant again in a city (My last one in South Point, Exeter, has been done about 4 years ago). I could have placed it on an own map, standing lonely at a creek or small river, close to a small town or highway, but the game wants all employees living on the same map. Also i was not in mood to create rural areas. And my next cities are going to be an island town, or maybe a desert city, where nuclear power plants make no sense. Before starting a new city, i was also thinking about some other facilities like a photovoltaic plant, the other end of the Pretego canal or a dam. I decided for Seaburg 1. The result of the power plant itself is very ok imo.

Thanks for praising the park, the skyline (special thanks to @daochunhan) and especially the trainstation. I try to create things i haven't seen yet on XLN.

About the historical development of the city you could be right. :)

15. kipate

kipate Governor

No worries, you still got the five stars :D ;) And you are right, if you want to build a nuclear power plant on any map, then you have to weigh the pros and cons. So, yeah, given your wish to realize such a structure, the safety reasons can be skipped. Nonetheless, accessibility still plays a role. I mean, the plant in South Point seems to be easily accessible :p And the result looks fine to me, I am just missing the power lines... wait, wasn't that metrocity's phrase? :ROFLMAO:

Go for the island town ;)

16. Inan

Inan Governor