1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Monty's projects

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Monty, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Monty

Monty Governor

Hey, welcome to my projects thread. Lately I've been looking up for other things to mod than buildings and I've been experimenting a bit with vegetation. One thing that I personally think needs some eye-candy are farms, those forever empty plots of land.

I'm currently adding some different types of crops using the same type of models used for vegetation in the game. These models ensure better performance than regular 3d objects by using different techniques.

The first farm I've made is a sunflower farm.
    SunflowerField01.jpg
    Kansas in Cities XL :LOL:

The sunflower plants are like other bushes in the game, a bunch of 2D planes that always face to the camera creating the illusion of a 3d object. Each cluster covers an area of 40 square metres and its LOD1 has 164 triangles, LOD 2 contains less plants and has 104 triangles and LOD3 is a "billboard" of 2 triangles. A billboard is that 2D tree you see when you zoom out a lot or play with low or very low settings.

I'm attaching the sunflower farm to this thread as a beta release. Since it's the first time I'm modding trees (probably its the first fully custom tree ever for CXL) I'd like to know if they work properly for everybody, or at least for most people.

Things to keep in mind:
    Performance wise, they run pretty well, as any other tree the level of detail you'll see depends on your graphic settings.
    The higher the "tree visibility" setting is, the further away the billboards will replace the plants.
    People playing in "very low" settings or tree visibility under 30% will only see the "billboard" or 2D image of the crops, just like it happens with trees and bushes. So you'll be stuck with very ulgly crops, but you can turn the tree visibility up to take nice screenshots or if you take megascreenshots (Shift+F11), the crops will appear at full level of detail in them, they will look pretty nice, like in the pic above. :)
    Technically you can build as many as you want without any issue. The game limits the instances of each type of tree/bush that can be rendered at the same time, so the "excess" will not be rendered, when you zoom in you reduce the instances to be rendered and they will show up normally. This may look like a bug or issue but it's a good thing, it means they won't use a lot of resources if you build "too many" farms.

Well, that's all for now. Suggestions and feedback are welcome :)

Attached Files:

2. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

The first successful test!
    Excellent work,
    You are wonderful!

three photos,

Height camera 1:
    gamescreen0378.jpg

Height camera 2
    gamescreen0379.jpg

Height camera 3 gamescreen0380.jpg

Maybe you can have a better visual for the camera height 3?

Anyway, thank you!

3. TheFosaGames

TheFosaGames Vagabond

I like it for the next town. Great work Monty :)

4. Monty

Monty Governor

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

Look at the trees, they turn 2D at the same rate but it looks less obvious.. I could add more lods or remove the billboard completely, but I think that will reduce the performance for people playing with non very powerful machines. I'll do it anyway for testing purposes, maybe it's not that bad afterall. I could try adding an extra an horizontal billboard too.

5. Monty

Monty Governor

btw what's your tree visibility setting value?

6. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

You talk about the graphics options.
    100% view

7. Monty

Monty Governor

The horizontall billboard doesn't show up in the game (it looked like crap anyway) and even if I increase the view distance of lod1-2 another problem happens, you can see in the back how the game's opacity maps fail to work at long distances, so they simply become almost invisible, leaving a gap between the LOD1-2 area and the billboards. I'm afraid they have to stay like they are. It doesn't make sense to stress the engine with more geometry if you're not going to see it.
    cxl_screenshot_farms_4.jpg

Big Meany Mean and kipate like this.
  8. kipate

kipate Governor

Possible to have also other flower fields?
    Lavender (Southern France), or Rape (Rapeseed)?

Besides this, I am lucky THAT we can CAN have this nice addition at least.
    One day ago, I would never have dreamed of such large filled crops.
    I remeber the small cluster by Discopolis, but that was years ago, though...
    Thank you!

9. Monty

Monty Governor

Yeah, that would be nice. It's possible to make those, the lavander probably would need ot be based on a bush-like model rather than blades like sunflowers or rapeseeds.

I got the horizontal planes working, it's sketchy but they do make the fields look fuller at certain angles. I also removed mipmaps and I think it looks a little better. Unfortunately there isn't much to do about it, this is how the game works. I've attached this new version 0.4. to this message.

Far away view, shadows ON.
    cxl_screenshot_farms_36.jpg
    High settings, shadow on:
    cxl_screenshot_farms_38.jpg

High camera, high settings, shadows on:
    cxl_screenshot_farms_33.jpg

High settings, shadow off:
    cxl_screenshot_farms_34.jpg

Very low settings, no shadows:
    cxl_screenshot_farms_37.jpg

Attached Files:

10. fayeddd

fayeddd Governor

very nice project! actually it already looks good,. leave the gap between crops and let the shadow do the rest.

11. AzemOcram

AzemOcram Executive

Please call rapeseed fields 'canola.' PR is important sometimes

Anyway, I love your sunflowers! I'm glad you yellowed-up the billboards!

12. wildii

wildii Governor

Great idea! The new version looks very nice :)

13. Kurtis Edwards

Aww. the red bus roads from XL.. I can't ever get them to work in XXL. Monty.. these are just awesome fields.

14. metrocity345

metrocity345 Elite

Can you try to make the Bus Roads mod to work in Cities XXL?

15. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

I work on a mod, bus lanes
    Soon.
    End of off topic.

16. Monty

Monty Governor

I've added 3 new farms, wheat, corn and vineyard. You can replace the sunflower patch with this one, it also includes it.

wheatfarm.jpg
    cornfield2.jpg
    vine_farm2.jpg

I can't attach the file here, you can download it from this link (click on download with browser)
    MEGA

17. kipate

kipate Governor

A vineyard. Awesome!
    Now time for my citizens to get drunk!

18. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Olalalala, I'm impressed!
    It is too beautiful!

19. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

will I be able to grow maji..una in cxl???))))

DtwizzY likes this.
  20. DtwizzY

DtwizzY Elite

Oh yeah, that would be really great! (y) :ROFLMAO:

Monty you doing still doing a good job! Nothing stops you, how far will you go in changing the game? :whistle: