1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Buildings Australian Traditional Houses Pack

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by Froyomo, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Froyomo

Froyomo Unskilled Worker

Just some good old Australian houses would be nice.

Queenslander
    QuUQAwL.jpg

Carlton Rowhouses
    GmpOUdG.jpg

Federation house
    qwDZeeS.jpg

2. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Yeah I agree although I'd also ask for the 1940s-1950s era houses as well, most commonly seen in brick or fibro but there were a few weatherboard ones here and there.
    I'm thinking specifically of that transition period when new houses started to lose the fireplace & chimney from the design.

For an example of the basic style (and they were pretty basic!)
    wide-asbestos-620x349.jpg

although you could still find homes being built with fireplace/chimney, for example: -
    1951-edit.jpg

3. Froyomo

Froyomo Unskilled Worker

Yeah also some 60s/70s houses in this kind of style would be nice. I don't really know the name of the style but there's a lot of them in Canberra.

XfaYvD9.jpg

4. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Talk about coincidences... I lived in Canberra in the '70s, in Lyneham. They were starting to build Ginninderra Drive at that time so that's how long ago that was!

5. Froyomo

Froyomo Unskilled Worker

Yeah I know the inner south area a bit better than the north.

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I would like to see some of those as well. If there were 20x40 as well as 40x40 it would be neat. Some of those houses look like the 1970-80's houses here in New Zealand.

7. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

That doesn't surprise me Skullz, both our countries took British housing designs and adapted them to our part of the world. It seems South Africa had the same sort of experience so if we had a mods based on these designs, I reckon we could use them for any of the British colonized countries in the southern hemisphere :)

8. Froyomo

Froyomo Unskilled Worker

Agreed!

KevinTheCynic likes this.
  9. brendonwright1989

Absolutely, particularly some little older ones on 10 x 40 and 20 x 40 as that is more standard house size in suburban Brisbane. Those little brickies would be great!!!

10. KevinTheCynic

KevinTheCynic Executive

Hiya Brendon, yeah I seem to recall that for the older suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney those sizes would be suitable too. Again these were inner city suburbs where they really packed the housing in. Doesn't seem to be quite the same with Perth, here it seems the smallest size would equal the 20 x 40.

11. Froyomo

Froyomo Unskilled Worker

Sort of the time frame i guess, the inner suburbs of Melbourne in the 1930s and 1920s were rough and were very dangerous and many worked in heavy industry. (Fitzroy, Richmond etc) have a lot of warehouses and packed in housing as the resources were more centered in the transport hubs and polluted areas in the middle of town instead of these days. I mean in the 1930s Fitzroy was pretty much a slum and same with many other inner city suburbs.
    H7lW09f.jpg
    Pretty sure this is Fitzroy

KevinTheCynic likes this.
  12. Steven H. Endermann

It would be very nice if there were more mods like that.